What is CNG?
Although compressed natural gas (CNG) is a fossil fuel like diesel, gas and coal, it is far different in terms of its impact on the natural environment. CNG, however, does not contain the same negative compounds found in these fossil fuels and is therefore considered one of the leading clean energy products for the environmentally-conscious fleet organization.
Can my vehicles be converted?
The types of fleet vehicles that can be converted to CNG include a broad range of Ford models, General Motors models and a select number of Chrysler vehicles. Operators are urged to contact the team here at GAS directly or their original equipment (OEM) manufacturer to find out if their fleet is suitable for CNG conversion.
Will my drivers have convenient access to CNG fueling stations?
There are currently over 500 CNG fueling stations in the United States. To review a map of the various fueling stations in your fleet service region, please see: www.AFDC.Energy.gov
What are the cost benefits of a CNG conversion?
By utilizing our CALCULATOR TOOL, fleet operators can determine the financial benefits of making the switch to natural gas. Our specialized calculator takes into account metrics such as CNG conversion cost per vehicle, vehicle fuel economy, vehicle annual mileage as well as available incentives and local fuel prices.
CNG and clean energy sources represent the future of US energy innovation. Here are a few of the overall benefits of conversion to natural gas.
- A Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV) emits almost zero emissions during fueling. In gasoline vehicles, fueling emissions account for at least 50% of a vehicle's total hydrocarbon emissions.
- Gasoline operated vehicles contribute to global warming with the release carbon dioxide via tailpipe emissions. These emission levels are greatly reduced with natural gas helps to greatly reduce those levels
- CNG produces significantly less pollutants than gasoline during processing.
- On average, CNG is 15% to 50% cheaper per equivalent gallon than gasoline.
- The Financial Incentive Advantage offers fleet owners a 50% investment tax credit for each vehicle converted to natural gas.
- Some fleet operators have reduced maintenance costs by as much as 40% by converting their vehicles to CNG systems due to the product’s clean-burning properties.
- As CNG is already in a gaseous state, NGVs have superior starting capabilities and superior overall drivability, even under severe hot or cold weather conditions.
- NGVs experience less knocking and no vapor locking.
- Natural gas does not react to metals the way gasoline does, so pipes and mufflers last much longer.